Why every student should opt for international travel insurance
Those students who are planning for higher education abroad need to do a lot of planning. Besides arranging for offer letters, recommendations, student loans and accommodation, there is a lot more that has to be thought through. Since you will be living in a new location away from your home, you need time to settle down. But in such a scenario, you should be well prepared for any situation. Unforeseen situations like illness can take a toll on your funds. Hence it is vital that all students opt for travel insurance India programs.
Understanding student travel insurance
Student travel insurance is an insurance plan designed especially for students who are planning to study overseas. This travel insurance from India offers financial security against unforeseen situations during their time overseas. Most international travel insurance online covers the student’s travel insurance as well as health insurance.
Who is eligible for student travel insurance?
If you are seeking higher education abroad, here is the eligibility criteria that you need to meet to get student travel insurance in India:
- A student has to between the age of 16 to 35 years is eligible to apply for international travel insurance online.
- The student looking for insurance must have enrolled in a course at a registered university.
- The student must be attending the course as a full-time student.
- Every student is allowed to get only one travel insurance during a time period.
Features and benefits of travel insurance in India
- Substance insurance: If you are going abroad for further education, you must be taking laptop, tablet and smartphone with you. These expensive gadgets are prone to theft or loss during transit. This is quite a large expense to bear. Getting them insured can help you with reimbursement in such scenarios.
- Personal liability: There are several such travel insurance in India that provides personal liability coverage at no extra cost. This coverage covers you for any losses caused by you to another individual or their property. For instance, damage to your rented apartment can be covered by this insurance.
- Medical expenses: The medical coverage as per the international travel insurance online covers you for medical expenses irrespective of your location. Hence, it is a very important converge that all students going overseas must opt for. This insurance will take care of unforeseen medical expenses that may otherwise take a toll on your finances.
- Unplanned pause in studies: Overseas education is not cheap and not everyone can afford it. Most students pursuing education opt for student loans. In case of any unforeseen circumstances your course is interrupted, and you may have to bear a lot of financial loss. But with travel insurance from India, you can claim coverage for these losses.
- Loss of baggage: In the event that you lose your baggage during transit, you may be taken aback and feel helpless in a new country. With travel insurance in hand, you can be assured that delayed or lost baggage will be covered by your insurance company and you will be reimbursed with an amount to purchase belongings to meet your immediate needs.
- Compassionate visits: Many insurance provider also covers the cost of travel for a family member to meet you during your tenure of studies. This visit is called a compassionate visit. Many insurances may also offer a two-way compassionate visit where the student can also travel to their home country in case of emergencies. This is quite beneficial for those travelling to far off countries where the cost of ticket is not affordable for many.
Inclusions in student travel insurance
While the policy inclusions may vary with every travel insurance in India, here are some basic inclusions you must look for in international travel insurance online.
- Medical emergencies abroad
- Coverage for transport expenses in case of death
- Medical evacuation to India in case of emergency
- Accidental injuries
- Loss of passport
- Loss of baggage
- Personal accident cover
- Cost of issuance of duplicate passport
- Return ticket for family members in case of hospitalisation for more than a week
- Reimbursement of paid fee in case of interruption in studies
- Reimbursement of the bail amount in case of an arrest
- Reimbursement of the tuition fee in case of death of the insured
What is not included in student travel insurance in India
Here are some of the factors that are not included in travel insurance in India :-
- Coverage for sexually transmitted diseases
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- 8+*/*Travelling without the consent of a medical professional
- Serving under the Armed Forces or Military in any other country
- Being found under the influence of substances
- Mental health disorder
- Loss due to invasion, revolution, rebellion, or war
- Loss or damage because of nuclear waste or nuclear fuel exposure
- Being a part of a crime, civil commotion, riot or felony.
It is vital that before you purchase international travel insurance online, you do your research and compare insurance plans available online to check if it covers everything that you are looking for.
Whether you are purchasing international travel insurance online or offline and may decide not to travel later, you might be afraid to lose your hard-earned money. The good news is, most insurance providers refund the premium amount in case of a change of plans. Here are the documents you need to provide in such cases:
- A letter stating a valid reason for cancellation of the policy
- Visa rejection letter, if applicable
There are many insurance providers offering different kinds of travel insurance in India to students planning to pursue higher studies. It is vital that you opt for travel insurance that offers maximum benefits and coverage so that in case of an unforeseen situation or an emergency, you do not get stuck.
Disclaimer: The above information is for illustrative purposes only. For more details, please refer to the policy wordings and prospectus before concluding the sales.