Schools and colleges are not just about providing lessons and lectures and then testing the students to assess their progress and growth. There are various other activities that take place in the other departments of the school or college. Many functions of these departments were previously carried out by the staff members manually, without much involvement of technology. While schools and colleges were shut down for students and teachers, even the offices were closed and all the functions of these departments were put on hold.
Teaching, learning, lab work, cultural activities and many other activities that were conducted in schools and colleges easily shifted to the online space. Apps and websites emerged to improve the experience of online education for all and also let students not miss out on any extracurricular activities. These apps, websites and portals also made the life of teachers easier by automating many of their tasks that were too monotonous and tedious. It also helped students learn better by using the latest technology, unlimited resources and exploring more on various subjects and topics of their choice.
The school management, administration and other departments that help in the smooth functioning of the institution also had to switch to the online space. Managing the entire school, keeping control of the online classes, arranging for any requirements of the teachers and students and keeping everyone connected virtually during this time were also some of the responsibilities that these departments of the schools and colleges had to take up. To support the working of these departments and ensure smooth functioning of the educational institutes, Learning Management Systems were put in place.
As the name, Learning Management System or LMS suggests, the systems are in place for educational institutions. But they are also used by different offices, agencies and authorities of local and national importance, across the globe. These systems help in the automation of various processes and functions of the school and college authorities and also provide a platform for learning and teaching for the students and teachers.
In this article, we will be looking at the features and uses of a Learning Management System for school and college management and authorities.
Learning Management Systems are not a very new concept, neither are they the latest invention in the field of online education. These systems have excited ever since the late 1990s and have been developed and modified to come up to the level where they stand today. These systems became more popular during the lockdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as they were extensively used by most educational institutions for streamlining their processes in the online space.
Learning Management Systems are used for the administration, documentation, tracking, reporting and automation of the procedures that are conducted in the various departments of a school, college, coaching institute or tuition centre. They are also beneficial for the creation and the delivery of the course content and provide a platform to the teachers for the same.
Some ways in which Learning Management Systems help the school management include:
- Managing the users and their roles: Teachers, students, parents of the students and the members of the various departments are some users of the school website or portal. The LMS helps in managing these users, giving them access to the features defined for their profile and keeping an account of their data.
- Admissions: Admission of new students, creating their IDs, admission numbers, online profiles and more.
- Onboarding of new teaching and non-teaching staff: Schools and colleges recruit new teaching staff and other staff. Managing their data, creating their profile and ID is a task automated by the LMS.
- Management of the course content: The course content created by teachers is created and delivered using the LMS.
- Housing the course content created by the teachers: The content is also housed on the LMS and can be accessed multiple times by the students and teachers.
- Training of the employees: The employees recruited by the school or college need training on new technology, new tools and techniques, which can be done using the learning management systems.
- Providing support to the users and visitors on the portals: Being available for the users and visitors in case any help is needed or support is required.