No matter how much experience you have in acting, auditions can be nerve-racking. While it is completely normal to make a few mistakes here and there, you should know about some common mistakes so you can avoid them and nail any audition that comes your way.
1. Arriving late
If you want to be taken seriously as an actor, you will have to act like a professional. That includes being punctual. There is no excuse for you to be late for an audition. It does not matter if you were 5 minutes late or 25 minutes, all that is going to matter is you were late. Being late at an audition is a red flag. It will drive the casting director away from you, no matter how good of an actor you are.
- Leave early for the audition, but not too early. An ideal time to reach would be 30 minutes before the expected time. It is okay if you reach a little early, you can use the extra time to prepare yourself for the audition.
- Keeping a planner handy and writing down the time and place of the audition is going to save you a lot of time as you will not have to remember things last minute.
- Pack your bag the night before and do not leave it for the very last. This will help you save time.
2. Not being prepared
Walking into an audition without being prepared is probably the worst thing you could do to your acting career. If you are unprepared, it will offend the casting director as it will show how little respect you have for the audition.
- Do not step into the casting room until you are well prepared.
- Learn your lines properly and work on how you are going to deliver those lines. Do not just read, anyone can read but it takes a real actor to deliver the lines charmingly.
- Do your research. Knowing everything about your character before you go into the audition is imperative.
3. Ignoring instructions
As an actor, you should never ignore the instructions given to you. Apart from looking for great actors who fit the role, directors want to work with someone who can understand their vision and follow directions without much hassle. If you ignore instructions and are difficult to work with, no one would want to cast you.
- Listen carefully to what your casting director has to say and then take some time to think about it to completely understand what you are being asked to do.
- If you do not understand the instructions, do not panic. Politely ask them again and try to focus.
- Make sure to thank them for the instructions and apply those instructions to your audition.
- Be calm, confident, and graceful.
4. Acting like you are already a star
You might be a great actor and you might even have a lot of experience. However, if you go to an audition thinking you are superior to others, the chances of you coming off as unpleasant are quite high. Nobody wants to work with someone who thinks they are better than everybody else. Do not act like you are a star who just needs to be discovered. Confidence is good but overconfidence can hinder your acting career.
- Have respect for the directors and your co-actors.
- Always be down to earth.
- Learn to take feedback and criticism.
- Always be willing to learn.
5. Allowing rejection to bring you down
As you keep moving forward in your acting career, you are going to face plenty of rejections. It happens to the best of actors. If you audition for a role, there are chances you might get rejected. It is not because you are not a good actor, but there can be many other reasons too. For instance, you did not fit the role requirements or there was some problem with the budget. However, letting rejection affect you is the biggest mistake you can make in an audition.
- No matter how many times you have faced rejection, keep going. Do not give up because you did not succeed yet. You never know, you might get your break anytime soon.
- Be positive and use the motivation to perform better at your next audition.
- Do not quit because you have a fear of rejection.
If you want to ace every audition that comes your way without making mistakes, why not learn from the man himself? We are offering online acting classes with Manoj Bajpayee. In this underclass, Manoj will not only teach you acting techniques but also ways to avoid common mistakes at an audition. Do not let this opportunity slip away. Learn acting online from Manoj Bajpayee. Subscribe now!