Doing proper skincare is very important in our day-to-day lives. It is not just to look beautiful; not doing adequate skincare can also lead to various skin problems and diseases that may be difficult to treat. While talking about skincare, people assume that it is only about the face. But this is a myth. Even our body skin needs maintenance, and many ignore it. A significant product for body skincare is shower gels.
After a long day of work, a relaxing bath using shower gel feels like heaven. Shower gels create an almost spa-like atmosphere with their fragrant scents and rich, creamy feel. If you want this instant spa experience to leave you rejuvenated, read this article.
What are Shower Gels?
Shower gels are specialized liquids that are used for cleansing your body while showering. Although they have almost the same components as soaps, these are not liquid soaps. Liquid soaps contain saponified oils, while shower gels are made from petroleum-based products. Shower gels were first introduced in the 1800s. They were available in the form of jelly at that time, but as the technologies progressed, these are now available in liquid form.
Benefits of Using Shower Gels
There are several benefits of using shower gels. And many don’t know about the same.
- Shower gels have a more robust formulation in mixing essential oils, fragrances, and vitamins than soaps. Thus these prove to be more beneficial for the skin than soaps.
- Compared to soaps, they have a more extensive range of functions for proper skincare.
- Shower gels are also more hygienic than soaps as they are untouched and separated from other everyday products.
- Shower gels are now coming in aromatherapeutic categories too. Many such gels have infused smells of floral and effervescent compounds that can’t be added into soaps.
- Gels also provide better moisturization than soaps do.
- Gels are available in a wide variety and can also act as body scrubs. In addition, there are gels like oatmeal gels, which help to exfoliate the skin gently.
- Using gels for specialised skin types is also beneficial for the body.
- Using soap can leave your skin dry and itchy, which is why people prefer using shower gels. They have hydrating properties that keep your skin nourished.
- Gels last longer and are also travel-friendly. You can easily carry them wherever you go.
Different kinds of Shower Gels
There are various shower gels available in the market—each one with different ingredients and uses.
Moisturising shower gels: These shower gels are used for hydrating and nourishing your body. They are enriched with essential oils and extracts that keep your skin soft and moisturised. These form a thin protective layer over your body and retain the skin’s natural moisture.
Exfoliating Shower gels: These gels are made especially for removing the dead skin cells from your body. They act as a body scrub but are gentler than that. They physically remove the outer layer of dead skin cells on your body with an abrasive ingredient that is more refined than the abrasives in scrubs. These gels include salts or sugar as the abrasive ingredient. They give you smoother skin and also prevent acne breakouts.
Shower gels for Different skin types:
Dry skin: Moisturising shower gels are best for dry skins. They keep your skin hydrated for long hours and will give your skin a healthy glow.
Oily skin: Gels with tea tree, mint, peppermint, soapberries, aloe vera, etc., are suitable for oily skins. These ingredients are known for their anti-inflammatory properties to keep oil and acne at bay. Using these gels will reduce oiliness while not leaving your skin excessively dry. Instead, they will keep your skin hydrated.
Sensitive skins: While choosing gels for sensitive skin, look for ingredients that are soothing and hydrating. And for sensitive skins, the fewer the ingredients, the better is the gel. Avoid using gels with added fragrance and antibacterial properties.
Which is Better: Soap or Shower Gels?
Shower gels are better recommended for the skin. As mentioned above, they are specialised in different skin types. Using soaps dries out your skin, making it itchy. It can also develop rashes later on. On the other hand, shower gels have a lot of moisturisation. Gels also have added fragrances, essential oils, and vitamins that you can not add to soaps. Thus it makes them superior to use than soaps.
Steps to use gels
Shower gels are very simple to use, but following these steps can give you a more effective result after using shower gels.
- First, wet your body with water and then take a pea-size amount of shower gel.
- You can either use your hands, a washcloth, or a loofah to apply the gel.
- Lather it up correctly, and then apply it to your body.
- Use small circular motions to apply.
- First, apply on your face and neck and then on the rest of your body.
- Then, wash off the lather and rinse thoroughly.
- Pat your skin dry with a towel.
- If you are using gels in a bath, then add 2-3 teaspoons of gel to running water in your bath.
Shower gels are commonly known to people. But there are very few who understand the benefits of using them. Adding them to the list of your skin care products can prove beneficial and make your skin healthier.
Also, check out the different hair straighteners that can give you gorgeous straight hair.